A work-blog for the Zipper PSP digital manga

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Comics/Manga On Other Media Players

This question was posted to the comic_creators community at LiveJournal. I thought it was completely relavant in the face of the new wave of technology that is changing the way we read comics/manga. (Though I'm not so sure I answered the question to my own satisfaction... so I restate it below.)

LJ user deni_zen: I think it's cool you're creating comics just for the PSP. I wonder if the same formatting could be used for palms or pocket pc? -- (Published with permission.)

That's a great question. I wish I had a great answer. The truth is I don't know. I don't have either of those media players. With the advent of newer technology such as hand-held gaming machines like the DS, pocket computers like the Pocket PC, and media players like the iPhoto, our world expands in a variety of ways. While each of these machines has their own advantages over the others, they also each have limitations. I believe it is up to the individuals using the machines they prefer to explore these boundries.

When the PSP first came out, there was a lot of hype about comics being ported. Unfortunately, it was just that... hype. At the time of this writing, we are approaching a year after its debut, and there is still only one comic that has been created specifically for the PSP (to my knowledge) -- NYC2123: Dayender. Though I am sure that there is a ton of work in progress that will appear within the next year. Putting together a project like this doesn't happen overnight. It takes time.

As I have mentioned in previous posts, there are other comics out there formatting older work for the PSP, but formatting for is not the same as creating for. Creating for implies that there is conscious forethought to making the media work natively with the machine, while formatting for is recreating work to fit. With formatting for, the possiblity that you would lose something -- more than likely quality -- grows.

Which brings me to my answer for the above question. To take the PSP format and to format it for the PC Pocket, the iPhoto, or any other media player/machine would mean loss of quality. Thus I think it is important to start out with work that is meant for the machine of choice. There are other problems that might occur as well, such as the image sequencing/archiving "problem" that the PSP occasionally has (which I have not personally encountered and seems to be rare, but not to be overlooked), and the software that other machines use. As I personally do not own any of these other products, I have not researched the possibilty of doing work or porting work for or to them.

If there is an individual out there who is currently creating an iPhoto comic or a PC Pocket manga, I welcome them at this site. I encourage them to comment in the blog and link up with this site so that information as a whole can be dissiminated to the masses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home